Saturday, February 25, 2006

Tanis' mum: an introduction

An upside to the pain of relocating all your earthly possessions when moving, is the joy of rediscovering an old box of treasures thought long-since lost. In the chaos of moving in, it’s easy to hurriedly jam a box upside down into a locked filing cabinet in a basement with no lights (under some plans and next to a wholly remarkable book), and tell yourself you’ll come back to it later as you hurry off to unload more boxes from the truck.

Strangely enough, just such a thing happened to me. When I was in Templestowe, I had all my favourite photos blu-tacked to my bedroom wall, and when I moved they got taken down and stuck in a small box that disappeared once it reached Richmond. Most annoying was that amongst the photos was a bunch of Tanis with his kitten brothers and sisters, and one prize shot of Tanis’ beautiful mum.

So imagine my joy when unpacking that filing cabinet in the basement with no light and uncovering the precious box. (Incidentally, it was an old Air Jordan shoebox that was valuable in and of itself, so it was double the find. And if you’re at all interested in the Air Jordan shoe, (which is why you’re reading a cat blog), follow that last link and go to the Air Jordan section. It’s incredible, if a little over the top. I still say Jordan Vs are the best.)

But back to topic. I found my old picture of Tanis’ mum, and here it is.


I don't know anything about her really, except that she's a survivor and had the most beautiful emerald eyes I've ever seen. I wish I'd kept in touch with her rescuers. Oh well, her life at least was not as short as it might have been, and if children are the pride of their parents, she couldn't have done better than Tanis.

No comments: